Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gather Together in My Name by Maya Angelou

Our latest bookclub pick was the continuation of Maya Angelou's story as a young teenage mom bouncing around from California to Arkansas trying to find and keep her innocence.  We have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and were intrigued with Angelou's early years so decided to continue catching up with her every few months.  In Gather Together, she has a baby to feed; a mother who adores but doesn't smother her; runs a brothel; returns to Arkansas to discover it's the same but different south; tries to join the Army; loses her innocence and gains naivety; struggles with her brother, Bailey; and finally finds her innocence and her baby (who is not an accessory) - all this in a 3-year span, and she's only 19 at the end of book.  There is a lot more of her to discover - all making her the beautiful poet she is today.  There is very little time to catch your breath as Maya hops on and off trains during her journey, but she writes even the darkest of situations with vigor, hilarity and passion.

1 comment:

  1. I read this years ago and loved it. I bet I would get a lot more out of it if I read it now.

    By the way, did you get my email? You won Forgotten by Cat Patrick!

    ReplyDelete