Sunday, March 13, 2011

I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg

What a treasure to discover a new "old" author!  I tried reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe in my mid-20s but didn't last past the first few chapters.  Guess I wasn't mature enough in my humor and need for a good story.  I Still Dream About You is funny, refreshing and not a tad bit "old."  Maggie, Hazel, Ethel, Brenda and even Babs are each awe-inspiring in their pursuits to find the meaning of life and friendship.  Maggie as the central character who is trying to find the most well-mannered and self-sufficient way to exit this world is hilarious with her graciousness and Nancy Drew like sleuthing, that you can understand why she is the former Miss Alabama.  Brenda, Maggie's best friend, is feisty and the character I related to the most if only for her need to be comfortable in her own skin - because who can really deny themselves a pint of ice cream if it's in the freezer waiting for a spoon?  (And yes, I've tried covering up how many cookies I've taken before.)  Ethel, well, there's nothing wrong with the color purple.  It's an intoxicating color.  Hazel -  pure energy and spunk we all wish we could have.  Babs "the Beast" is a part of all of us- sheer grit to get what we want but we are too polite to butt our way to the front of the line. 

All of these women plus kilt wearing bones with decades old secrets; ankle weights & inappropriate sweatshirts; goats and the beautiful house on the hill that keeps Maggie part of the living made "I Still  Dream About You" a pleasure to read now that I'm almost in my mid-30's.

41/2 DogEars out of 5
Okra Picks Book Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment